Verbal and Emotional Abuse Lawyers
Emotional and verbal abuse can result in a lifetime of consequences for victims, including children. While the results of physical abuse are usually obvious, the effects of verbal and emotional abuse can be more difficult to establish.
As a result, California has enacted laws that provide protections for those at risk from this often overlooked form of domestic violence. At Kaspar & Lugay, LLP, our family law attorneys will help you get the domestic restraining order and other help you need to make the abuse stop.
Call 415-789-5881 or contact us online to schedule a consultation about your emotional abuse case.
Just as each family unit is unique, each domestic violence case and its facts are unique. When recommending a course of action that fits your case, our attorneys will consider the following:
- What is your relationship to your abuser
- What are your long-term goals and short-term needs
- What is the nature of the emotional or verbal abuse
- Are your children observing your abuse
- Is your child the victim of verbal abuse
What Constitutes Verbal or Emotional Abuse
Verbal or emotional abuse can take a variety of forms, so it is important that your petition to the court for a restraining order be worded carefully. It is common for verbal and emotional abuse to accompany physical violence and sexual abuse. Battered woman syndrome is an example of an extreme reaction to years of abuse. Children also suffer when observing a parent or sibling being abused.
Some elements of an emotionally or verbally abusive relationship include:
- You are manipulated into feeling guilty when you have done nothing wrong
- You are constantly or frequently anxious and afraid to upset your abuser
- Your abuser controls or restricts your contact with your friends and family
- Your abuser coerces you into performing humiliating tasks or sexual acts
- Your abuser calls you worthless, ugly, stupid, or in other ways makes you feel inferior
- Your abuser publicly humiliates you
Stop Verbal and Emotional Abuse With Our Help
The attorneys at Kaspar & Lugay, LLP, are experienced, effective family law professionals who know what key elements a judge will look for in a petition for an emergency protective order or temporary restraining order. If your family is involved in a cycle of abuse, it is extremely important that you take action to protect yourself and your children. Call 415-789-5881 or contact us online to schedule a consultation to discuss your case.