Big Firm Experience
With A Personal Touch.

August 2015 Archives

Back-to-school tips for divorced or separated parents

As the academic school year begins for students across Marin County, newly separated parents may struggle through difficult conversations related to permanent custody. On the other hand, a heated exchange over college expenses and tuition can occur when parents never resolved the issue in a marital termination agreement.

California Divorce: To Move Out or Stay Under One Roof?

The California Supreme Court recently clarified the question of whether spouses can be considered separated while still living in the same residence in the case of In re Marriage of Davis 220 Adv. Cal. App. 4th 1109 (10-25-15) (DCA 1). Prior to discussing the holding, first let's explore the ambiguity presented by the Family Code. For practical purposes, Family Code Section 771(a) requires that spouses be living in separate residence in order for their earnings and accumulations to be separate property. Note, under California law final dissolution of marriage takes 6 months before the marriage is terminated. As a result of this 6-month period a question often arises as to whether the income and property accumulated during the 6-month period is separate or community property. In short, once the spouses are considered "separated" pursuant to FC section 771(a), their income and assets earned earned during the period are considered separate property. However, the question often arises, as to whether spouses are separated pursuant to FC section 771(a) when they remain living in the same residence? The Davis case clarified this question by unanimously holding that couples must live in separate houses for them to be considered "separated" under FC section 771(a). 

Modifying Child Custody/Visitation Orders

Child custody and visitation orders generally are modifiable throughout the child's adolescence (generally up to age of 18) whenever the court finds a modification is "necessary or proper" in the child's best interests. [Fam.C. § 3022; see also Fam.C. §§ 3087 & 3088.] Because a family law court has continuing jurisdiction and the case remains "pending" even after entry of a dissolution judgment, the court can modify if it is "necessary or proper" in the child's best interest.


Request a consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Main Office
1606 Juanita Lane Suite B
Tiburon, CA 94920

Phone: 415-889-8734
Fax: 415-366-1899

Napa Office
1606 Main Street Suite 207
Napa, CA 94559

Phone: 707-666-0203
Fax: 415-366-1899

Walnut Creek Office
1990 N California Blvd 8th Floor
Walnut Creek, CA 94596

Phone: 925-234-4478
Fax: 415-366-1899
Visit our Walnut Creek Law Office

Santa Barbara Office
827 State Street
Suite 1
Santa Barbara, CA 93101

Phone: 805-919-8719
Fax: 415-366-1899
Map & Directions